Beltronics STi Magnum Review
False Alert Filter
The Beltronics STi Magnum provides long range and accuracy without complicating the functions, making it a great entry-level radar detector. The STi does include an Earphone Jack for a standard 3.5 mm mono earphone plug.
The STi is also a great detector for motorcycle riding when you accessorize with the correct motorcycle mount, weather protection (use a child’s shower cap) and external warning device.
Overview of Beltronics STi Magnum
The STi Magnum has a 60 percent improvement in performance and Beltronics is the brand leader with its radar-laser technology. The design is effective with its dual antenna design for delivering to you the longest in range definition. You will be provided three sensitivity settings for knowing when law enforcement men in blue are nearby. Hours of reading the manual will not be necessary with STi’s intuitive features. It does not have a built-in GPS (Global Positioning System); however, it is a great detector for first timers at an affordable price.
Performance and Features
|Beltronics STi Magnum|
|Operating Bands||X-Band , K-Band radar, Ka-Band|
|Laser Detection||Multiple Laser Sensor Diodes|
|Best Feature||Escort Live Community Sharing.|
|Price||$422.23 on Amazon (price may be changed without notice)|
|Red Light Cameras Detection||Yes|
|Sensitivity Setting||Highway, Auto Scan and City|
|Community Share||Escort Live|
|Power Requirement||12VDC, Negative Ground|
|Dimension||1.25(H) x 2.75(W) x 4.75(L)|
The Beltronics STi Magnum is able to detect radar 14 miles on a straight run road due to its design using two antennas. The three-sensitivity modes are Auto, Auto No X, and Highway. You will no doubt use the Auto setting more frequently. The Auto mode turns on the internal filter using digital signal processing. It will suppress radar that is not from a radar gun.
By removing the X-band from detection, the STi’s Auto No X increases the sensitivity even further, since false alerts are normally generated with the X-band range. You will get more false alerts in a more dense population region.
Stealth Technology and GPS
Being the first to use stealth technology, the Beltronics STi Magnum made their detector totally invisible to the Spectre Radar-Detector Detectors (RDDs) putting it at the top of the line. In today’s marketplace there are only 4 detectors that are able to defeat the Spectre and the Beltronics STi Magnum is one of them.
The STi is not equipped with GPS therefore it does not provide preloaded locations for speed traps, red light and speed cameras. You cannot block false alerts, potential threats, or receive, and share location information with other users. You can, however, use the SmartPlug™ to connect with your Smartphone through Bluetooth. This permits you to use the GPS in your phone’s app to share the task using the Escort Live mobile app. While it’s not as great as a built-in GPS, it’s better than none and will alert you to non-radar threats such as speed traps and cameras. The disadvantage is that you will need to subscribe to the Escort Live app.
Specifications and Exclusive Qualities
The STi is an industry leader with its low noise amplifier (LNA) microwave receiver delivering long warnings on all radar bands to include the latest POP (Point of Presence) threats defeating radar detectors. The case on the STi Magnum is magnesium, as a result its name. Its tough metal case is matte black to keep it stealthy and it will resist windshield reflections of itself. The three front-mounted control buttons are red-backlit—another industry first—for easy nighttime operation.
- TotalShield™ Technology—makes the STi Magnum invisible to RDDs. This feature is exclusive to Beltronics STi Magnum and you will not be seen by existing Spectre and VG2 as well as being undetectable by future threats.
- Digital Signal Processing (DSP)—the AutoScan™ constantly analyzes all incoming signals. It will discard redundant false alarms providing you with a stabilized performing long-range detector without irritating false alarms.
- User-friendly Controls and Options—the preset controls by the factory are set for short and/or long trips in the U.S.A. To satisfy your driving style, 9 features are customizable for how you like to drive.
- Laser Protection-the Next Generation—the many laser sensors in the unit are situated intentionally for continuously searching for signals from laser guns. The superior off-axis protection and maximum range are standard for the STi.
- Text Display in High Def—the STi is easy to read from any angle with its brightest text display. Select from 3 different indicator modes to suit you.
- Clear Voice Alerts—with the crisp and clear digital voice alerts you can keep your eyes on the road and hear your information. When purchasing, ask about the Beltronics STi amplified speaker option for exceptional noise areas.
- AutoMute™ and Muting—automatically reduces the volume level when alerted. Alternatively, press the large front-mounted Mute button on the SmartPlug™ that is included to quiet the audio alert immediately.
- City Mode Filters—Select from City, City Standard, or City No X for operation.
- Brightness and Full-dark Modes—with 4 levels of brightness you can choose from Auto that changes the brightness based upon the light in your vehicle or choose the full-dark mode using the on button and alert indicators on the SmartPlug™ for stealth action.
Power/Operating Bands and Operating Conditions
- 12VDC, Negative Ground
- Coiled SmartPlug™ with Mute Button
- Direct-wire SmartPlug™ with Mute Button
- K-band: 24.150 GHz ± 100 MHz
- Ka-band: 34.700 GHz ± 1300 MHz
- X-band: 10.525 GHz ± 25 MHz
- Laser: 904nm, ± 13 nm
- Dual-LNA Microwave Receiver
- Superheterodyne, Varactor Tuned VCO
- Scanning Frequency Discriminator
- Digital Signal Processing (DSP)
Programmable Features—include the display, power-on indicator, power-on sequence, voice alerts, alert light, signal strength meter, brightness, bands, and AutoMute™.
Sensitivity Control—Highway, Auto Scan™, and City No X
Display Type—280 LED Alphanumeric Bar Graph, Threat Display™, Tech Display™, Automatic, plus 4 levels of fixed brightness including full Dark
Laser Detection—Quantum Limited Video Receiver and 5 Optical Laser Sensors
Additional Patented Technology—includes Auto Calibration Circuitry, Mute/AutoMute™, SmartMute™, and TotalShield™ Technology
- Item Weight: 0.3 Ounces
- Dimensions: 1.25” H x 2.75” W x 4.75” L
- A/C Lighter Adapter: 9-Volts
- Gift-wrap Available
- Designed in USA – Made in Canada
- 1-year Limited Warranty
Here’s what you get in the box
- Beltronics STi Magnum Detector
- Power Cord, Coiled
- Quick-Release Bracket Kit For Windshield Mounting
- Reference Card
- Suction Cups
- Owner’s Instruction Manual
- Long Range Detection
- Effective False Alert Filter System
- Escort Live which help you communicate with other Escort users for sharing and receive threats.
- Lack of GPS
- Slightly Pricey